Sunday 1 March 2009

All you need is a compass?!


I can't quite believe that there are only 6 weeks to go before we fly to Nepal, its so exciting!!

With this in mind training needs to step up a notch. Running training on Monday, which was a good start......but sadly thats pretty much where it ended for the week. I had so many plans, for swimming, running and Trim of course on Thursday, followed by a Trektators walk on Sat. Things didn't all go according to plan however. I had my vaccinations on Tuesday - a fairly painless if not painfully expensive experience. I was pretty happy to leave the Travel Clinic, arms still in tact and only a small bruise. Over the coming days though I became ill with swollen throat and feeling just generally rubbish.....all as a result of the injections. It's so frustrating not feeling well enough to carry on with the training, as you can't help but feeling you are undoing all the hard work.

I may have had my own lurgy set-back this week, but this week has been a champagne popping week for The Everest Test overall. Individually for the group things are coming together, with visa's now all pretty much sorted (courtesy of Tooves and Vicks), injections complete, medical forms in, North Face kit ready to collect and the tickets sales for the Comedy Night/Send-off Party on the up!

Friday brought with it the icing on the cake. It is official that ITN now our Media Partner will be sending a Film Crew up the mountain with us in April. London Tonight (news channel) will feature an update every day of the trip, with live coverage from the mountains. We will then have a 20 minute special feature once we are back. This is an amazing feat for The Everest Test and our charities. Kirt, Creative Minds and all involved can feel truly proud of this ....well done guys!

Celebrations were on hold for now, as Saturday promised a 7am start for myself, Vicks.S, Vicks.N, Alex, Zooby, Helen, Isla and Agnes (friend). Walking in Surrey was order of the day, and the early start was to ensure we were back in London for the rugger!


Sitting on the bus, with my pack, kitted out with camel pack, cereal bars, bananas, compass, sanitiser spray, torch and essential layers I was feeling confident that this was going to be a successful day. Then came the crash-bang-wallop when in true Brooksie fashion I realised that I had left the map at home. I was reading through it the night before and left it next to my bed.....typical! A few panicked phone calls later, on the train and we secured a copy with Isla who had a print-out.....back in the game! That was until my map reading commenced.

I was not surprised to hear the exchange of jokey swipes at my map reading skills in the car park prior to the walk. This time it would be different though, I was certain.....afterall I'd done this walk before how difficult could it be!!

Turns out I had a last minute change of heart and decided on a more scenic route via 'Surrey's prettiest village' - Shere and a nature trail just outside Gomshall. It kept everyone on their toes, and anyway, sticking to the trail is too easy....always good to keep it interesting! All in all, an eventful walk with a few giggles, a bit more mileage to add to the boots and some record snack munching displayed by little Fud truly amazing!

With Bath Half only weeks away, and the lurgy slowly disappearing running needs to be my diet for this week. Before this trip, I would never have dreamt of signing up to a Bath Half, but now - bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment