Wednesday 18 March 2009

Bath Half

Following the buzz that began the week, with our resident comedian Chris leading the way to yet another cracking fundraising doo (£6000 raised amazing work by all involved).....turns out the week was set to finish with a similar bang!



Following my physio visit on Friday, I was reassured by the fact that I had "runners knee". I was worried about there being a more sinister, ligament/tendon damage....but alas it was only my wee ltb,itb,bti muscle (can't recall the abbreviation) - the muscle connecting your knee and arse. When this tightens, as you run (which mine clearly has a tendency of doing) this then creates a tightness and pain in the knee. After a full hour of having my ltb,lbw,tb muscle pummelled (accompanied by genuine tears and blasphemy exploding from my mouth) Elaine (aka wonder worker) explained that I would be ok to run. My main relief was the reassurance that I would be fine for Everest (brill!!).

In Bath Elaine's words echoed in my ears, as I stumbled across the finish line (2hours 19minutes later), whilst being caught by one of the running dudes...."You will experience some pain after the race". Well, she was right, no huge surprise there. I did have a slightly funny look from the medic as I jumped (hopped) for joy as she told me I could keep the ice pack. Tying it round my knee, and then continuing to hobble my way round Bath, as my medal swooshed from side to side I was greeted by the Heroes welcome from the Bath people.....limping but with a smile on my face!

3 days on, and I am still with a slight limp but doing everything that I am being advised to do.....rest, relax, stretch, ice pack it, stretch a bit more, roll on my side across a foam tube (kindly lent to me by Wes). I'll get there, and whilst I stand by my decision to run, I cannot fully accept sympathy at this stage, as I stubbornly chose to soldier on!

Elaine says I'll be fine, so I'm also standing by that.....only disappointed that my attempt to look glam for once at the Send-off Party will be tarnished by my gleaming pair of trainers!!

Will keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment